If you’ve got hooded eyelids, makeup musts – like liner and shadow – can feel like a bit of a mission. You’re no stranger to smudged eyeshadow, and getting a flick to look right seems next to impossible most days. Seriously, you put all that effort into a perfect wing and as soon as you open your eyes, it smudges – we feel your pain. So here are a few hacks and techniques for getting your eye makeup to look – and stay – on point all day.
Spread your wings
Eyeliner has never been a one-size-fits-all look. The key to getting it right is working with the shape of your eye. Here are some tips that’ll help you nail it.
- Primer is essential. Smudging is your enemy, so prevent it by covering your lid with Makeup Revolution Liquid Aqua Eyeshadow Seal Primer.
- Take some Pro Longwear Gel Liner on a thin, firm brush and start lining your upper lash line. Try to keep the line as thin as possible and really hug your lash line – using gel liner will give you the control you need.
- Now for the wing. To get your flick on fleek, work with your natural eye shape and make sure the end line is smooth and seamless.
- Use the GOSH 24 Hour Pro Liner pencil to fill in your tight line. This will make your eyes appear bigger and give your wing more body.
- Finish with a lick of Lengthening Mascara.
Smoke it out
You’ve done it, the perfectly blended smoky eye… then you open your eyes and that flawless crease disappears. Don’t give up, though – a bit of deception and the following tips will have you slaying a smoky eye in no time.
- Choose a matte neutral shade from the Makeup Revolution Pro HD Amplified 35 Palette in Luxe and apply all over your lid. This will act as your base and make blending shadows easy.
- Take a darker shadow from the same palette to create a false crease. Use a small brush to place the pigment in a line above your natural crease, keeping your eyes open, to help you see how the makeup will look.
- Blend out your new fake crease with a soft, fluffy brush. Go back and forth in windscreen-wiper motions to add definition.
- Deepen the outer corners of your eyes with a dark brown shade from the MUA Pro Eyeshadow Palette in Feather Light. Blend the pigment until the overall look is smoky and seamless.
- Give your eyes a lil pop by highlighting the inner corners. Use the lightest shade in the GOSH Eye Xpression Palette in Back to Nature around your tear ducts to brighten the look.
- Make your lashes pop with a coat of mascara and you’re good to go!
Bold and bright
Having hooded eyelids can sometimes make your peepers look a bit small, but a pop of bright colour can help make them the main event and add something special to your makeup.
- Choose a bold eyeshadow – we’ve gone for neon pink from the Makeup Revolution Life on the Dance Floor in Sparklers palette because who doesn’t love a touch of pink?
- Use a dense flat brush to pack your chosen pigment all over your eyelid.
- Blend out any harsh edges with a fluffy brush so the colour fades out at the brow bone.
- You will almost definitely have some fallout – this is an eyes-before-base look for sure! Simply tidy up any mess with Pure Sensitive Micellar Cleansing Wipes, perf for using on the delicate skin around the eyes.
- Top this look off with a little mascara and you’re done!