Ever leave the house with fresh curls and feel like you’re in a music video as you strut down the street? We feel you – curls have that power. The only problem is, curling your hair can be quite confusing. Well, it was. We’ve put together a super easy guide that will leave you a hair curling pro in no time. Whether you prefer straighteners, tongs, or no heat at all – we’ve got you covered.
With curling wands
There’s a million different curling wands to choose from. They all do different things, so you can literally get the curls of your dreams. If you want tight curls, use a wand that’s smaller than an inch wide. If you want Kardashian curls, use a bigger curling wand. Basically, the bigger the wand, the bigger the curl.
Whichever curl you want, the steps are still the same (handy, right?):
1. Remove any tangles from your hair (otherwise it’s gonna be painful).
2. Split your hair into sections (no more than an inch each), from the base to the top. Secure with clips or grips.
3. Pick up a section from the bottom layer. This section should be no more than an inch wide, otherwise the heat will have less impact. Less heat = weaker curls.
4. Starting from the base, wrap your hair around the wand, working up. Curl away from your face – you don’t want to burn yourself!
5. Hold in place for 10 seconds max (remember that video of the girl who singed her hair off? Don’t be her). If you want loose curls, hold
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 on the rest of your hair.
7. Gently run your fingers through your hair to separate the curls slightly – brush lightly if you want wavy curls.
8. Finish with a touch of hairspray
With hair straighteners
Usually rock straight locks like your life depends on it but wanna switch it up? Well, we have good news. You can use your trusty straighteners to create flawless curls. Here’s how:
1. Detangle your hair with a brush and spritz with heat protection spray.
2. Separate hair into 3 sections (no more than an inch in width) from top to bottom. Secure with clips and grips.
3. Take a section of the bottom layer (no more than an inch) and spritz with hairspray. This will help to hold the curl.
4. Clamp down on the hair (fairly near the scalp) and turn the straighteners to a 180 degree angle. Then, turn the straighteners back on themselves to the opposite 180 degree angle.
5. Work down, repeating the process, until you reach the ends of your hair. The quicker you move, the looser the curl will be.
6. Repeat for the other sections of your hair.
7. Run fingers through hair to break up curls and finish with a spritz of hairspray.
If you’re a serious heat-phobe who’d rather not have heated appliances anywhere near their face - don’t worry! You can still get envious curls. Don’t believe us? Well, believe in the power of foam rollers. Not only can they give you any curl you want, but there’s no risk of damaging your luscious locks with heat.
Sold? Here’s how to use them…
Et voila! That’s how you curl your hair.