Don’t you love dewy skin that simply glows? Read on to find out how to choose the right highlighter and how to apply it. Follow our guide to find out all you need to know about choosing the right highlighter for you, as well as highlighting your features.
What is a Highlighter and What Does it Do?
Highlighters are light-reflecting products, available in liquid, cream and powder form. They enhance your complexion and give skin a brighter, dewy glow as well as making cheekbones look more prominent. They also reawaken dull or ageing skin and accentuate your favourite facial features in a subtle, natural way – they’re not meant to make you look shiny or glittery, instead they bring light to an area.
How to Apply a Highlighter
- You can use highlighter in a number of ways: Mix in a few drops with your moisturiser of choice for an all-over, radiant glow, or apply it after your foundation with a makeup brush to cover areas you’d like to glow.
- Start at the inner corners of your eyes to open them up, then sweep it under the arch of your brows to define and lift your brow bone.
- Next, highlight the tops of cheekbones, blending the highlighter right up to the temples.
- You can also apply a highlighter to your Cupid’s bow, which will give the illusion of bigger lips.
How to Get The Best From Your Features
To emphasise and get the best out of your features, use these handy tips:
- Highlight your eyes: This will instantly light up your eyes and give a brow-lifting effect
- Highlight your lips: Used under liptstick, this will create dimension and volume to your lips. Highlighter blended into the cupid’s bow and centre of the lips will create this effect.
- Highlight the bridge of your nose: This will enable your nose to look narrower.
How to Blend
Blending your highlighter creates an instant radiant and even toned appearance to the skin. Once you have highlighted the areas of your face, go over each part by buffing the product into your skin using a buffing brush. Use gentle circular motions over your face and watch your makeup blend beautifully. This will create a seamless look and feel, instead of looking like makeup has been layered on top of your skin.
How to Choose the Right Highlighter for Your Skin
Choose the shade of your highlighter to suit your skin tone. If your skin is olive, opt for golden, peachy coloured highlighter, while those with fair skin should choose rosy, silver hues. For a seamless blend, match the texture of your highlighter to your foundation, so if you’re using liquid foundation, choose a liquid formula. However, it’s important to consider what will work best on your skin type. For example, powder highlighter may not work well on dry skin types, but oily skin may welcome its mattifying effect.
Before Using Highlighter, Apply Concealer
Before you begin highlighting your face, map out the sections you want to highlight on your face using dots of concealer one shade lighter than your skin tone. Areas to map out include the forehead, under the eyes, nose and chin. This will help to create an illuminated effect.