Waste & Recycling
By 2020, achieve 85% recycling of all waste generated from Store, Head Office and Distribution Centre operations.
We are committed to recycling the waste that is generated by our activities! All waste that is generated in store is transported back to our Distribution Centres meaning that we have full control of our waste. At our Northern and Southern Distribution Centres we have designated Recycling Teams who sort the waste for Recycling or disposal.
Head Office waste is segregated by colleagues and collected directly for recycling or disposal as general waste.
Total recycling volumes from Stores, DCs and Head Office exceed 10,000 tonnes per year (80%.) The highest volume recycled materials are Card, Clear Soft Plastic, Paper, Mixed Recycling and Metal.Non-Recyclable General Waste, which accounts for over 2,500 tonnes per year, is sent to Energy from Waste facilities and incinerated to create energy.
We are proud to say that we divert 100% of our waste from landfill.
UK's first medicine packet recycling programme
Hoping to be more green this year and recycle more? Well we've got great news for you! We've teamed up with brands Anadin, Panadol, Nexium, Piriteze, Rennie, Nicorette, Imodium, Sudafed & Benadryl to include collection boxes in every Superdrug Pharmacy, so you can recycle your empty medicine blister packets.
Start collecting empty medicine blisters so the next time you are able to visit your Superdrug pharmacy, you can drop them off in the dedicated collection boxes. Start collecting your little packs now and start making a big impact!
Did you know we recycle your old electrical products ?
- Buying a new electrical or electronic item from us? We’ll recycle the one you’re replacing for free. Simply bring the old electrical item in within 28 days, shows us the receipt for its replacement and we’ll do the rest.
- You can also find local recycling points for your old electrical here
- Recycling and reusing unwanted electrical or electronics can help save the planet, boost the economy and improve lives. Not only that, electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) contains materials, parts and substances which can be dangerous to the environment and harmful to human health if not disposed of correctly.
- Electrical and electronic equipment is now the fastest growing waste stream in the UK and across the world.
- Discover the impact of reusing and recycling your electricals here
What can I recycle?
- Anything with a plug, battery or cable can be recycled or reused! The materials from recycled electricals can be used in everything from children’s playgrounds to lifesaving equipment, while donate rech can help bridge the digital divide.
- You can find the following icon on all your electrical items. It is a reminder to recycle your old electricals, rather than binning them.
Reducing Electrical Waste
- As part of our commitment to reducing the amount of unwanted electrical waste being incinerated or sent to landfill sites, we’ll recycle your electricals free of charge when you buy new ones. Together we can stop precious resources being lost forever, save lives and help protect the planet.
- Every year, we collect, reuse and recycle thousans of tonnes of old electrical and electronic equipment.
- We take all your old electrical to a recycling plant for processing and separate into individual materials, so they can be turned in new, more useful things. Watch this film about how your old electricals are recycled.
- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is regulated by the UK Government. Find out more here.
- We’re proud to be working with the national Recycle Electricals Campaign
Did you know we recycle your old batteries?
If batteries are not recycled they are sent to land waste. This means in time dangerous chemicals may leach from the breakdown of the batteries resulting in soil and water pollution. Causing damage to our natural ecosystems and wildlife. Did you know the materials held in batteries can be recovered and reused? We can help; simply drop them into your nearest Superdrug store and we can recycle them for you.