Canesten Thrush Cream relieves irritation of the vulva (vulvitis) which is caused by vaginal thrush (candidiasis).
This is a Pharmacy Medicine item. We will ask you to complete a questionnaire to ensure this is appropriate for you which our pharmacist will check.
Although this cream provides relief from the external irritation caused by vaginal thrush, it cannot treat any internal (vaginal) cause of the infection. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a treatment for this. Only use this product if you have been previously diagnosed by your doctor as having vaginal thrush. Some women suffer from recurrent attacks of thrush. To reduce the frequency of these attacks, the sexual partner’s penis can be treated with this cream to prevent re-infection, even if they have no symptoms of thrush.
Warnings or Restrictions
• For external use only.
• Please consult your doctor before using if you are aged under 16 or over 60.
• Avoid sexual intercourse whilst you have thrush and are using this product as your partner may become infected.
• Do not use during your period as the treatment may be less effective.
• If you have more than two infections within six months you will need to see your doctor.
• This product may reduce the effectiveness of rubber contraceptives, such as condoms or diaphragms. As a result, please use alternative precautions for at least five days after using this product.
• Do not use tampons, intravaginal douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products whilst using this product.
•Please consult your pharmacist or doctor before using this medicine if you are currently pregnant, likely to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
•Please consult your pharmacist or doctor if you are currently taking any other medicines as this may cause an interaction.
•If you think you may be allergic to any of the ingredients contained in this medicine, please seek medical advice before taking.
•If you have any questions after you have bought this medication, please speak to your pharmacist.
The active substance is clotrimazole at a strength of 2% w/w. Other ingredients: benzyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol and purified water.
Size (20) Unit (G) Height (3.2) Width (13.1) Depth (2.6)
Product code: 633065
For adults and children aged over 16 years:
Tips & Advice
•For vaginal thrush: apply thinly and evenly around the entrance of the vagina 2 to 3 times daily for one week or until symptoms disappear.
•Treating your sexual partner: If your sexual partner is treated with this cream, the cream should be applied to the end of the penis 2 or 3 times a day for up to two weeks.
To avoid further reoccurrences:
• Wear cotton knickers and loose clothing.
• Wash daily.
• After using the toilet, wipe from the front to the back to prevent the thrush infection from spreading from the bowel.
• Change your sanitary protection regularly.
• Avoid wearing tights, nylon knickers, and close fitting jeans.
• Try to avoid washing with perfume soaps or using vaginal deodorants.
• Do not scrub the area hard with sponges or flannels and avoid hot baths with strong perfumed oils.