Getting your ears pierced is like receiving the key to a whole new world of accessory opportunities! But once your new bling is in place, it is really (really) important that you take good care of it.
If you have recently had your ears pierced at Superdrug’s Beauty Studio, our fabulous team will have taken you through the aftercare process. However, if you need a reminder or are thinking about using our service, here is everything you need to know about caring for your new piercing.
At Beauty Studio, we offer lobe and upper cartilage piercings and depending which you go for will depend on the healing process. However, there are some basics which should be followed for both kinds of piercing.
- Always wash and dry your hands before touching or cleaning your new piercing.
- Clean your piercing two to three times per day with your after piercing solution (more on this in a moment)
- Ensure you are cleaning both the front and back of the earring, not forgetting between the jewellery and skin.
- Rotate your new earring 180 degrees left and then 180 degrees right a few times while you are cleaning it. Be careful not to get any hair caught in the process and turn it gently.
- Do not remove your earrings during the healing process.
At Beauty Studio, there are two types of aftercare solution available – the ‘After Piercing Solution’ and the ‘Advanced After Piercing Solution’.
After Piercing Solution
If you come into Beauty Studio for a piercing, we will give you our After Piercing Solution for Free (usual cost £4) which offers the following benefits:
- Healing time: 6 weeks for lobes and 12 weeks for a cartilage piercing
- Effective cleansing of the piercing site
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula
- PH neutral, non-irritating and soothing
Advanced After Piercing Solution
Do you want to save time on the aftercare process? If so, our Advanced After Piercing Solution is for you! It uses the most advanced technology in the aftercare market to reduce healing time for lobes from 6 to 3 weeks and cartilage piercings from 12 to 8 weeks!
Not only does it speed up the healing process, the Advance After Piercing Solution also:
- Minimises redness and irritation
- Cleans the skin without stinging it
- Closes the pores to seal and protect the skin around the new piercing
- Works with the body to protect your new piercing
- Provides anti-microbial protection without causing irritation
And on top of all that, it is also vegan and cruelty-free!
The Advanced After Piercing Solution is just £8 and available at Beauty Studio.
How to Tell Your Piercing is Healing
When you get a new piercing, it is perfectly normal to experience a little bit of pain, heat, inflammation, and redness in the pierced area. This is your body telling you that something is there that probably shouldn’t be! It’s important to be patient - it may take your body a few weeks to accept the new jewellery and to kickstart the healing process.
During this time, you may feel tenderness and it may ooze a little bit but that’s fine, just remember to keep the area clean at all times.
Everyone’s healing time will differ, but the main signs that a piercing is healed and that you can change the jewellery is when:
Remember to wait for the full recommended healing time before changing your jewellery and once that time has passed you can look for the main signs that the piercing is healed, which include:
· There is no more swelling, redness, or inflammation
· You can lay on the piercing without pain or discomfort
· The edges of the piercing are smooth and pull inwards
· There is no more ‘oozing’ or crust around the jewellery
· The earring can move freely
If in doubt, do not remove your jewellery. Pop back into your local Beauty Studio and one of our lovely piercers will be able to advise you further.