One of the best things about makeup is being able to experiment – lab coats on, people! If you like being playful with your products, you’ve come to the right place to learn a few more tricks. Highlighting with blush? Multitasking makeup? Achieving pro results with simple techniques? We’re game for aaaaaall of that. When you want to be a makeup rebel, you need to get the pros involved, so we asked makeup artist Rebecca Barnes to show us how it’s done. She came up with game-changing tips and tekkers that you can use in your makeup routines to give your look that lil summin’ special. And as if that wasn’t enough, this has all been done using vegan makeup – so there’s really nothing holding you back if you wanna go a bit wild.
Forget dabbing, we’re all about draping – the technique used by profesh MUAs when they sculpt the face using blush. We all know blush has made a major comeback recently, so giving this technique a go will have you looking lit and on trend.
- Start by applying the product with a blusher brush to the high points of your cheekbones instead of the apples.
- Blend a super-light wash of blusher along the jawline.
- Sweep the product from your eye socket all the way up to your temples.
- Make sure everything is blended seamlessly and you’re good to go!
Lay down a base
You may know that primers do wonders for the pigmentation and staying power of eyeshadows, but what if you don’t have one? Well, there’s a simple trick that’ll give any pigment a little extra punch…
- Apply a white kohl liner all over your eyelid. Coloured eyeshadows show up better on top of white, so this is a great way to intensify them. The kohl base also has a slightly sticky surface, which holds onto the shadow and makes it really long-wearing.
- Soften the edges of the white kohl with a fluffy brush and get your blend on. You want this base to look seamless.
- Now for the fun bit! Pack on any colour you want and make sure you really press the shadow into that base. Voila! That’s the easy way to get long-lasting, colour-popping eyeshadow.
Ombré lips in no time
Got a thing for the ombré lip trend? So have we! But getting it right can be tricky if you’re not Picasso with your lippy. Well, not any more. Thanks to the creamy formula of B. Matte Liquid Lipsticks, creating a flawless fade on your pout couldn’t be simpler. And, let’s be honest, if you can wear two of your fave shades at once, why wouldn’t you?
- Start by priming your lips with Lip Primer. This neutralising prep product will smooth and hydrate your lips, providing the perfect canvas for a gorgeous lip look.
- Apply your darker shade to the outer corners of your lips. We’ve chosen a vibrant pink called Frollicked.
- Once you’re happy with the placement, grab your lighter shade (ours is called Pinky Promise) and place this in the centre of your lips.
- Now for the magic! These lippies dry down matte, but while they’re still wet they’re oh-so-creamy and super-simple to blend. Use your finger to pat the two colours together, creating a flawless ombré that’ll leave your lips lookin’ ready for the gram.