Long, luscious lashes are the secret of a super-stylish look. Follow our guide for everything from quick-fix makeup tricks to growing your own natural lashes.
Getting longer eyelashes with make-up
If you’re not blessed with naturally long lashes, makeup can help transform your lashes into voluminous, curled and long lashes in just a few simple steps.
1. Start by grooming your lashes with an eyelash comb, this will make sure they’re neat and evenly spaced.
2. Next, shape lashes into the perfect curl with an eyelash curler. You should use a curler on clean, dry lashes. Open the curler and place it over your upper lashes, positioning it as close to your eyelid as you can - that way you’ll be curling all the way from the root to the tip. Once you’re happy with the position, gently clamp the curlers down, applying gentle pressure for around 10 seconds. You can pump the curlers while they’re in position too if needed, and then repeat on the other eye.
3. Line the inner bottom lids with a nude eyeliner, which will open up the eyes and put the focus on your super-black lashes.
4. A cocktail of different mascaras is key to achieving show-stopping lashes. Start with a lengthening formula with a small wand to coat even the shortest and finest of lashes in the inner corner of your eye. Follow with a voluminous mascara to make the lashes appear thicker. Finish with a curling mascara for the ultimate lustrous lashes.
5. For even more impact, apply false strip lashes, too – or individual lashes in the outer corners of the eyes.
How to grow eyelashes
Treat your lashes to a nourishing mask by applying them with a petroleum jelly or a natural oil (like coconut oil). Both these products will moisturise and strengthen lashes, preventing premature breakage and encouraging growth.
Start by removing all your makeup and completing your night-time skincare routine, then gently coat lashes in a natural oil or petroleum jelly and leave overnight. Use your fingers to do this. Alternatively, warm the product between your (clean) fingers and then roll a clean mascara wand over the warmed petroleum jelly to coat the brush, before combing through the lashes.
Wash off in the morning – thoroughly, yet gently – and repeat every night until you start to notice your lashes growing longer and stronger. The length of time it takes to see an improvement varies, but lashes should look healthier after up to four weeks of continuous use.