What better way to beat the winter blues than embracing a trend that is all about cosiness, contentment and enjoying good things with good people? Hygge – pronounced ‘hoo-ga’ – is the Nordic word that means all of those things, and according to studies, adopting this lifestyle trend will make you healthier and happier. We’re all ears…
So how does it work? Meik Wiking, author of The Little Book Of Hygge, says the concept is defined as ‘the art of creating intimacy’, ‘cosiness of the soul’, ‘taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things’, ‘cosy togetherness’ and ‘cocoa by candlelight’. So put down your mobile, flip down that laptop, turn off your TV and start embracing all things natural, cosy, snuggly and warm.
5 ways to Hygge-fy your life
- Start making your home cosy with throws, rugs, pillows and candles. It’s all about creating a space where you can feel totally relaxed.
2. The Hygge trend encourages everyone to reconnect with friends and family by taking time out to do something simple together, like grab a coffee, cake or go for a meal. It’s all about having a laugh!
3. Stay away from technology! No Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp (the list goes on) for one whole day. Instead, read a book by an open fire in your comfiest PJs, or go on a long walk in the countryside. Declutter your mind by ditching the technology and focusing on one thing!
4. Don’t deny yourself that bar of chocolate or slice of apple pie… it’s all about compromise. The Scandinavians let their children have a packet of sweets every Saturday, so they grow up knowing that for the rest of the week they’ll have something to look forward to.
5. Give yourself regular short breaks throughout the day to de-stress your mind. Sit in a coffee shop for a warm drink or go on a short stroll. You’ll work a lot better when you get back to the task in hand, as you’ll be looking at it with fresh eyes.
Don’t mind us, we’re just off for a relaxing stroll to the nearest homeware shop to buy ourselves one of those life-size pillows…