Apart from results day, prom is probs gonna be the biggest day of your life, and you need to look the part – right? You’ve got the dress, you’ve found the PERFECT shoes, and your makeup look is sorted… but what about your barnet? We understand how hard it can be to find the perfect ’do. Most of them look too complicated, and the ones that aren’t just don’t cut it. Well, look no further. We’ve taken our inspo straight from our fave celebs on the red carpet, so if you want class with just the right amount of sass, you’ve come to the right place. Oh, and did we mention they’re all ’dos you can create at home?
Vintage Hollywood waves
For this timeless look, we’ve taken our inspo from Emma Roberts, a true Hollywood beauty. It’s classic and feminine, and it’ll take you next to no time to achieve.
- Begin by creating a side parting and then divide your hair into a top and bottom section to make it easier to handle. Secure the top section out of your way with Superdrug Sectioning Clips.
- Spritz with a heat protectant before styling your waves. We used Style Expert Protecting Heat Styling Spray.
- Start curling the bottom section of hair with a wide-barrelled curling iron. The key to achieving drop-dead gorgeous Hollywood waves is the direction of your curls. Curl each piece towards your head, right to the ends of the hair. As you release the curl, hold it in your hand while it cools, to let it set.
- Once the bottom section is curled, let down the top section of your hair and repeat the process. Don’t forget to use heat protection and, again, always curl towards your head.
- If you’ve got a side fringe like our model’s, you can use it to frame your face. Curl it in the same way as before, but instead of letting the curl drop, hold it so it keeps the shape of the tong, and pin it to your head to cool.
- Once all your hair is cool, soften the curls by brushing them through.
- Finish with a spritz of Superdrug Natural Hold Hairspray to secure your style in place and you’re done!
You will need
Soft braided chignon
Blake Lively is showing us all how it’s done (as always) with this soft braided-chignon hairstyle. It’s hitting all the right notes for us – elegant, romantic and pretty – and is perfect for your prom or a summer wedding.
- Start by sectioning the front of your hair on each side from the crown to the top of your ear and clip it out of the way.
- This will leave you with a large back section to work with, and you want to get as much volume and texture in there as possible. To achieve this, spray dry shampoo into the roots and brush through.
- Gather the hair into a low ponytail and tie with a Superdrug Poly Hair Band. Use the end of a pintail comb to tease out a few sections of hair at the back of your head.
- Using your fingers, pull and tease the ponytail to add volume to the hair, and spray in place with Superdrug Natural Hold Hairspray.
- Tie another hair band right at the bottom of the ponytail and fold the ends up, tucking it in. Begin to roll the hair towards your head until you get to the nape of your neck.
- Use one hand to hold it in place and the other to secure the bun. Use Superdrug Hair Grips to secure the bun to the back of your head, pushing the grips in at the top and down, so they’re hidden. Use as many grips as you need, and then set in place with hairspray.
- Now for the braids – WOO! Take one of the pieces at the side of your head and plait it until you have enough to wrap around the bun. For a fuller, more feminine look, gently coax out the strands of hair in the braid.
- Once you’re happy with the look of your braid, direct it around the side of your head and lay it over the top of your bun and around, tucking any excess underneath. Then (you guessed it) secure with a hair grip. Use another grip to pin the braid to the side of your head. Push it up and into the braid to keep it hidden.
- Repeat the same process with the front piece of hair on the other side and set it all in place with a good dose of hairspray.
Sleek low ponytail
If you’re after something a little sharper, this is gonna be the style for you – and who better to turn to for a sleek and sexy hairstyle than RiRi? This is probs the easiest of the three and all we can say is that we are totes in love with it.
- Start with a deep side parting, using the end of a Superdrug Bobbled Pintail Comb to get a super-sharp finish.
- Clip the top section of your hair out of the way and straighten the bottom half of your hair. Once the bottom is done, let down the rest of your hair and straighten that too. PS: don’t forget heat protectant.
- Gather all of your hair into a low pony and secure with a clear elastic hair band.
- If you think RiRi lets anyone see her hair bands, think again! Take a teeny piece of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the hair band to hide it and secure with a grip.
- Now for that extra touch of sleek finesse. Take some wet-look hair gel on a toothbrush (bear with us) and lightly brush back any flyaways. The toothbrush will give you precision and make it easy to achieve that super-sleek, slicked-back style.
- Seal it all in with hairspray and you’re done!