Choosing the right condom isn't just about protecting you from unwanted pregnancies and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). While this is super important, it’s good to remember that the right condom can also help make your sex life more satisfying.
Condoms can be part of foreplay, used for oral, anal, and even masturbation. So, it’s important to know your way around the condom aisle!
Here’s a guide to everything you need to know about finding condoms. Whether you’re shopping online or in-store, you'll need to know what texture, lubrication and size to go for.
Why Should I Carry a Condom?
It’s important to remember that you, and no-one else, are in charge of your sexual health. It’s good to stay informed and prepared, because condoms can help to protect you from STIs such as HIV and chlamydia, as well as helping prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Condoms add fun and variety to the bedroom, for you and your partner(s). With so many flavours, textures and types to choose from, there really is a condom out there for everyone!
Types of Condoms
There’s a whole range of condoms out there for a whole world of people. Take a look at the most common types of condoms below to see what’s right for you.
- Latex condoms - Latex is stretchy, durable and waterproof. Natural rubber latex is the most common type of condom but can cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Latex-free condoms - If you’re allergic to latex or prefer a different feel, there are latex-free alternatives to help reduce the risk of triggering an allergy. Durex Real Feel condoms are made of a technologically advanced non-latex material, polyisoprene. Essentially, you get the same smooth feeling as latex condoms without the drama!
- Textured Condoms - Textured condoms can intensify sensations, as the dots and ribs stimulate areas in new and exciting ways. The different textures can feel as exciting as a sex toy. Check out Durex Pleasure Me and Intense condoms for some bedroom inspiration.
- Flavoured Condoms - Add a little sweetness to the bedroom. If you’re a fan of something sweet, flavoured condoms can add a whole new level of novelty. Some flavoured condoms are not for vaginal sex, as the sugary base can affect the pH balance of the vagina. The beauty of the Durex Emoji Strawberry Condom is that it’s sugar-free so that it won’t mess with the pH balance of either your or your partner’s vagina during penetrative sex.
- Lubricated condoms - Most condoms come pre-lubricated, so as soon as you open your condom pack, they’re ready to use. Some condoms even come with extra lubrication for a smoother ride.
Let's talk lubrication
There are many reasons you can dry up before or during sex, so adding lube to the mix can help. Not all condoms are born the same when it comes to moisture levels – some are more lubricated than others.
Standard lubrication: All Durex condoms come pre-lubricated, meaning they are ready to use as soon as you open the pack.
Extra lubricate: Looking for a little extra? Keep an eye out for the extra lubricated icon for a condom that delivers more moisture.
Thin or extra thin? What's the difference?
Want that feeling of closeness during sex? Take a look at Extra Thin condoms. A little more sensitive down there? Then a thicker condom might be just what you need.
- Extra Thin: Durex Extra Thin condoms are great for those who want to feel that extra bit of closeness during sex.
- Thin - Durex Thin condom range provides safety and closeness without compromising on feel.
- Standard - From Durex Intense to Durex Strawberry condoms, our standard thickness range has plenty to offer.
- Extra Safe - Made with thicker latex, Durex Extra Safe condoms offer peace of mind without compromise. Try Durex Extra Safe, or Durex Real Feel condoms for maximum protection during sex.
Does size really matter?
Yup, when it comes to condoms. If it’s too big, it can slip off and slide around inside. If it’s too small, it can break or make your partner feel uncomfortable.
Remember, no method of contraception works 100% against pregnancy, HIV or sexually transmitted infections. It’s good to be in the know, so read the info inside, especially if you are using condoms for anal or oral sex.
Now you know the ins and outs, take a look at the Durex Range!
Always read the instructions. RB-M-35393