Cystitis, a type of urinary tract infection (UTI), is an inflammation of the bladder which is usually caused by a bacterial infection. It’s an extremely common condition in women, and although it can be uncomfortable, it’s usually easy to treat. Read more
What are the symptoms of cystitis?
Symptoms of UTI include:
- Burning or stinging feeling when passing urine
- Needing to pass urine suddenly or more often than usual, as well as feeling like you need to pass urine even when you don’t need to
- Urine that's cloudy
- Pain low down in your tummy
How can I relieve symptoms of cystitis?
There are lots of ways you can help to relieve the symptoms of a UTI, such as:
- Consider taking cystitis sachets you can add to water, cranberry tablets, antibiotics for UTIs or other cystitis medication prescribed by a doctor if symptoms do not pass.
- Consider taking over-the-counter medicines such as paracetamol or ibuprofen (if suitable)
- Drink enough fluids to stop you feeling thirsty. Aim to drink six to eight glasses a day, including water, decaffeinated drinks as well as cranberry juice – proven to reduce the risk of infection when drank regularly.
- Avoid having sex until you're feeling better as this could cause your symptoms to worsen.
You can take our cystitis/ urinary tract infection treatment for quick over the counter relief from cystitis or UTIs however, to prevent infection, we also have cystitis prevention capsules, containing cranberry to reduce your risk of future infections. For more help surrounding women's intimate health, view our range here.