SUPERDRUG IN THE COMMUNITY
We are a challenging brand on behalf of our customers. After a ten month campaign lobbying the UK Government to slash the VAT on condoms we celebrated a successful outcome to this campaign in the 2006 Budget when the Chancellor slashed the VAT on condoms from 17.5 per cent to five per cent. Our latest campaign is to reduce the VAT on kids' sun care products and a lobbying campaign to get the Government to reclassify sun cream as an essential health item rather than a luxury beauty item is currently underway as part of our campaign to raise awareness and funds for skin cancer.
Being a responsible retailer is core to our activities and in 2006 we launched a long term partnership with the Prince's Trust to support young people with potential through a programme of fund-raising, employee involvement and creating job opportunities.
Since 2006 we have been working to raise fund and awareness to support charities which work on skin cancer campaigns. We have worked with the Institute of Cancer Research, the Teenage Cancer Trust and CRUK and this year will see us exceed raising over £1 million for skin cancer charities over the last six years.
We are also supporting the NSPCC’s Childline campaign and this year exclusively launched the playground must have pin badge, the Moodi to help raise funds and awareness for their Child Voice appeal to ensure that as many calls as possible can be answered by the charity.
We are committed to:
- Responsible energy management and to cost effective energy efficiency throughout all stores and Regional Distribution Centres
- Reducing the amount of fuel used by our HGV fleet
- Minimising the environmental impact arising from the use of materials and services provided in building, shopfitting, repairing and maintaining premises
- Minimising the production of waste, ensuring its safe disposal and maximising recycling wherever practicable
- Ensuring good environmental practices amongst our own-brand suppliers and including environmental issues in buying decisions
- Minimising the use of unnecessary packaging; maximising recovery and recycling, with total commitment to packaging waste regulations and meeting our obligations contained therein
- Working with suppliers of own brand pulp derived products and wood products to use material from well managed forests
- Bringing to an end all testing on animals of cosmetic and toiletries products, and their ingredients
- Being aware of the environmental issues surrounding the use of our own brand products and to taking appropriate action
- Ensuring acceptable environmental, health & safety, and employment conditions in own brand product suppliers in developing nations
SUPERDRUG'S CHARTER AGAINST ANIMAL TESTING
We and our own brand manufacturers do not commission animal testing on any Superdrug own brand products or ingredients. Our own brand cosmetics, toiletry and household ranges have not been tested on animals by us or by our own brand manufacturers.